Monday, January 10, 2011

The Vegetabull

Spotted at MoMA

I love it when my new and old passions collide. Art history, meet vegetarianism. Vegetarianism, meet art history. Everyone else, meet my new mascot: The Vegetabull.

Painted by Jan Le Witt and George Him (1943) and on view in the Counter Space exhibit through March 14. I love the little guy so much, I'm buying a print

Since this blog has no readers that I know of (yet) I'm going to make a confession. I spent a good deal of time at MoMA observing people taking photos of art and not really looking at it. Not really experiencing it. And another part of the undergraduate art historian in me died a little bit.

And then I came face to face with this guy. And I looked and I looked and I got excited and I made my carnivore boyfriend look at it. And then, once I made sure he wasn't looking anymore, I took this sneaky iPhone picture. But I'm telling myself it was okay, although I know it makes me a Hippocrite (see what I did there?). Because at least I looked first.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the Vegetabull recently in the V&A museum in London and absolutely fell in love with it too! I am thinking of creating my own vegetable painting as it's so cute and simple :)

    ReplyDelete